POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Movie project question : Re: Movie project question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Movie project question
From: David VanHorn
Date: 28 May 1998 21:02:49
Message: <6kl1or$i1k$1@oz.aussie.org>
Nieminen Mika wrote in message <6kkv9p$ht2$1@oz.aussie.org>...
>David VanHorn <dva### [at] cedarnet> wrote:
>: Is anyone thinking about foley work?
>
>  Can you explain what does that mean? (my dictionary doesn't know the
>word "foley")
>
>--

Foley is making sound effects that are in sync, (time and space) with the
action
on the screen. In most american movies, the sounds that you hear in addition
the dialog are all foley work.  The sound adds a tremendous amount to the
whole
production.  Turn off your TV sound for a while and see.

In contrast, what british TV I've seen has had very obvious live sound in
outdoor scenes,
which sounds (to me) very noisy, muddy, and the actor's voices aren't clear.

There's a whole range of things that are used to create the sounds,
sometimes it's what
you think it is, often not.   Breaking fresh celery can be the sound of
breaking bones.